Saturday 23 May 2009

Sample Photos

Below you can see some more photos of my work. They are from a lot of different "categories", and will talk about each in turn.
I have tried a variety of subjects and settings for taking photos. I have shot two marriages ( not as the official photographer ), I have tried macro, spent some time on wildlife and general portraiture. Lately, I am fascinated by colour and shape.
This shot is from a pizzeria in Bayswater, London. Nothing fancy, I snapped this on a night out with friends. Velvia 50 film helps bring out the colour of the lamps as vibrant red. I always shoot my object shots with vibrant colours in mind, and I usually leave an 81A ( warming ) filter on the lens to make them slightly warmer.





Macro is a league of its own. I got a macro lens for Christmas last year ( my girlfriend still mentions it, as it was quite an expensive lens and she doesn't see it often ). This lens is for special occasions: portraits and shots of small things. Here are a few small subjects:
I took the next shots at Wisley Gardens, which is a botanological park close to London. It has a large tropical glass-house, which during winter is more or less the only part of the park with any flowers. In order to attract more visitors, the management bought and released in the glass-house thousands of butterflies.
I spent a day there with a good friend of mine, shooting a 105mm, f/2.8 macro on my D300. Used a tripod for most of the shots, folded as a monopod, because it wasn't sturdy enough to be used open and there wasn't enough space to move with its lower part open. We snapped hundreds of photos, like these.
They are quite something, aren't they? Again, went for vivid colours and tried to have high impact composition, not the easiest thing if the butterflies won't stand still!









This red butterfly was actually black and white on the outside.
Here is a crop from the center of the image. Spooky!
In the next post, I will show more of the macro lens for portraiture, as well as some wedding and landscape work. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment